Don’t let energy slip through the cracks
Be Wattsmart and save on duct sealing and duct insulation. When energy is lost through duct surfaces, heating and cooling equipment has to work harder to make up for the loss. As a result, you could be spending too much money to maintain comfort. Duct sealing and duct insulation can cut those heating and cooling costs by 30 percent.
Qualifications & Incentives
|Duct Sealing (stand alone)||$300|
|Duct Sealing + Duct Insulation||$600|
Ensure the home qualifies:
- Duct sealing (stand alone): Must be an existing single family; new construction is not eligible
- Duct sealing + duct insulation: Must be an existing single family home; new construction are not eligible
Requirements for both measures:
- Work must be completed by a Program-Qualified HVAC Contractor on the Program-Eligible HVAC Contractor List
- Work completed must comply with all building codes and standards
- Must have a minimum of 10 linear feet of exposed ductwork located in unconditioned space
- Home’s primary heat source must be either a ducted heat pump or an electric forced air furnace
- Existing ducts must be unsealed
- All services must be provided in accordance with the specifications in the Washington Technical Specifications Manual
- All physically accessible ducts located in unconditional space must be sealed
- A functioning carbon monoxide alarm is required when a combustion appliance is present within the confines of the structure
Additional requirements for duct sealing + duct insulation:
- Pre-existing duct insulation levels may not exceed R-2 and must be replaced with at least R-8
- All physically accessible ducts located in unconditioned space must be insulated
- Services must result in final duct insulation of R-8 or greater
- Duct sealing + duct insulation must be performed in the same project, with insulation installed after the ducts are sealed.
Additional program requirements:
- Home may qualify for either duct sealing or duct sealing + duct insulation, but not both
- When applying for duct sealing + duct insulation, separate trade allies may perform the two services; the trade ally listed in section 2 of the application will receive the trade ally incentive
- Incentives are limited to one-time installations within the qualified space of the home and may not exceed the total cost of the project
- Homes that have previously received an incentive through the program do not qualify for additional incentives if replaced
- Submit all documents withing 90 days of the qualifying service completion date
- Duct Sealing and Duct Insulation Application, complete and signed*
- Itemized receipt or contractor invoice must include:
- Date work initiated
- Date work completed
- Trade ally business name
- Third Party Payment Addendum (only for homeowners and other third-party entities not listed on account and applying for incentives)
- IRS W-9 From, if applicable**
*If mailing, please make copies for your records and note the date mailed on the application
*Applicable only to business and non-individual customers, including landlords, applying for incentives
Incentives are associated with the Home Energy Savings program January 1, 2020 tariff filing approved by the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission. All incentives are subject to change with 45 days notice. Additional terms and conditions may apply.
Conditioned vs. Unconditioned space – clarification notes:
For the most part, basements are conditioned spaces. Basements are not usually thermally isolated from the main living area and contain space conditioning ducts. Basements are also used for storage and frequently contain laundry facilities and other living spaces. Ducts serving unfinished basements are not always equipped with dedicated supply registers, although single registers at plenums are not unusual.
An unconditioned basement would have these properties: Thermally isolated from the main floor by insulation stairwell walls where thermal plane penetrates floor, air sealed (caulked, foamed penetrations) wiring plumbing, sealed duct penetrations and sealed, insulated ducts. No supply registers.
While a crawl space is unconditioned space, the floor must be insulated prior to or at the same time ducts are sealed and insulated to thermally isolate the crawlspace. Failure to do this will increase the heating load of the home and potentially cause comfort issues.
Residential electric customers residing in the state of California who purchase their electricity from Pacific Power on rate schedules D, DL-6, DS-8, DM-9 or NEM-35 qualify. Landlords who own rental properties served by the company in the state of California where the tenant is billed on rate schedules D, DL-6, DS-8, DM-9 or NEM-35 also qualify for this program. You can locate your rate schedule on your bill or by calling 1-888-221-7070. Incentive checks are only issued in the name of the Pacific Power account holder.
How to Apply
Prior to starting a project, find a contractor on the Participating or Qualified HVAC Contractor list. Note that select incentives must be completed by a Qualified Contractor. Review the incentive application with your contractor to determine eligibility requirements and incentive qualifications, and review the list of required documents to submit for an incentive.
Incentive Application and required documents must be submitted online and or postmarked within 90 days of the work completed date. Incentive checks are issued within 45 days of receipt of the completed and approved incentive application. Checks are only payable to the account holder. Incentives are not to exceed the purchase price of the equipment or service. Equipment and service work may be inspected for compliance. Incentives are subject to tariff approval and may change with 45 days notice. Additional terms and conditions may apply.
You will need these items to apply online for your incentive:
- Pacific Power account number
- Electronic Images of your receipt that shows the manufacturer name and model number of your new product
- Complete and submit your online application within 90 days of purchasing your new energy-efficient product
- Please allow six weeks plus mail services time for delivery of your incentive check after we receive your approved application and receipt.
- you can locate your account number on your statement as shown below
Have you already applied? Track your incentive status. Please allow 48 hours for your online application to load in our system.